The words Halal and Haram are the usual terms used in the Quran to designate the categories of lawful or allowed and unlawful or forbidden.
What is Halal?
Halal is an Arabic term which can be basically translated to mean ‘permissible or lawful (in Islam). And Halal food is something which is permissible or lawful to consume.
What is Haram?
This is another Arabic term which means Impermissible, sinful, forbidden or Unlawful (in Islam). And Haram food is something which is unlawful or impermissible to consume.
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
“Halal is clear and the Haram (unlawful) is clear.”-(Sahih al-Bukhari).
The following food items are Halal for consumption:
- All domestic birds
- All cattle
- All types of buck
The consumption of the following food items is/are against the dietary laws of Islam. Likewise, any ingredient or product derived from them or contaminated with them is also prohibited for a Muslim to consume:
- Meat of an animal that was not blessed with the name of Allah (the almighty) at the time of slaughter
- Animals killed in a manner which prevents their blood from being fully drained from their bodies;
- Meat of swine (pig) including all it’s by-products
- Meat of dead animals (carrion)
- Meat of animals that were strangled to death
- Meat of animals that were beaten to death
- Meat of animals that died due to falling from a height
- Meat of animals that were gored to death by a horn
- Meat of animals that were devoured by wild beasts
- Carnivorous animals with fangs, e.g. lions, dogs, wolves, tigers, etc…
- Birds of prey e.g. falcons, eagles, owls, vultures, etc
- Reptiles, snakes, crocodiles
- Mules and Asses
- Pests’ e.g. rats and scorpions
- Insects excluding locusts
We all have a misconception that most of the foods are haram (forbidden) in Islam. It is totally wrong. All foods of/in the world are halal (permissible) to consume. Only a hand-counted few items are haram (forbidden) to consume. And those food items are definitely harmful and wrong for/to us.
So anyone should only eat halal (permissible) foods. And halal (permissible) foods are right and good to/for us.